MKLeaderboards aims to create a listing of the world’s top Time Trial records for various Mario Kart games. We compile records found from all respectable sources, including in-game leaderboards, YouTube, Discord, and other leaderboard websites. Many of our records also come from user submissions. This page outlines the rules we use to determine whether a record is valid for addition to MKLeaderboards, as well as determining its category (such as glitches).
The following rules apply to all games listed on MKLeaderboards. Exceptions to these rules may be made in their individual game’s section below.
- Records must be set only on official Nintendo consoles (no emulators).
- Records must be set using an official, unmodified game disc (for disc-based consoles), cartridge (for cartridge-based consoles), or Nintendo eShop game download (on newer consoles).
- No modifications to the game may be made, unless otherwise specified. This includes, but is not limited to, cosmetic changes (colors, textures, music, sound), changes to button mappings, changes to graphics and 3D models, GUI changes (such as sprites and speedometer), and physics/gameplay changes.
- Official Nintendo controllers and 3rd party controllers are both permitted. However, controllers with modified electronics or controllers with turbo/macro functions are not permitted.
- Physical modifications or fixes/repairs to controllers are permitted.
- Savestates may be used only on official Nintendo emulators (e.g. Virtual Console), but their use is prohibited between the beginning of the race countdown and when the ghost saves (or would normally save).
- Slow-motion, rewind, and “live replay” techniques are prohibited.
- Pausing may be used during a race, but only minimally. Excessive pausing, pausing to buffer inputs, or pausing to save time lining up for shortcuts/glitches is not allowed.
- Records using glitches and significant unintended shortcuts are not allowed on the main leaderboards. Some games have special leaderboards created for records using certain glitches.
- If a new shortcut/glitch is found, staff deserve the right to rule it as invalid for the main leaderboards and reject the record until appropriate charts are created.
- You must specify your true nationality when submitting records. Players with dual/multiple citizenship may choose their preferred country. However, staff reserve the right to change any player’s listed nationality if they see fit.
- Anyone may submit their records to MKLeaderboards, even those outside the main leaderboards; these will be placed on players’ individual profile pages. However, records that fall on the main leaderboards must have sufficient proof provided. Proof guidelines are listed in the individual games’ sections.
- Staff deserve the right to request additional proof before adding a record to the leaderboards.
- The rules listed herein are subject to change. Staff reserve the right to add or remove players and/or records from the website with or without a change to the ruleset, with or without notice.
Click the links at the top of this page for game-specific rules.